The fee codes for the A GP for Me, also known as the Attachment initiative, will be available to all family doctors who submit the MSP fee G14070 ‘GP Attachment Participation Code’, a zero-sum amount, at the beginning of each calendar year. This will in turn open the door to the new Attachment initiative suite of fees. Billing the zero sum fee code signifies that:
• You are providing full-service family practice services to your patients, and will continue to do so for the duration of that calendar year.
• You are confirming your doctor-patient relationship with your existing patients through a standardized conversation or ‘compact’. Refer to A GP for Me –Frequently asked questions Q6 for details.
• You have contacted your local division of family practice to share your contact information and to indicate your desire to participate in the community-level Attachment initiative as you are able. Refer to A GP for Me –Frequently asked questions Q20 and Q21 for more information.
Prior to submitting the GP Attachment Participation Code, each participating family physician must register their intent to participate in A GP for Me with their local division, even if he/she is not a member of that local division. This will assist the local division to understand how many doctors in their area are prepared to support Attachment initiative efforts. Division contacts are available online at www.divisionsbc.ca.
The standardized wording of the Family Physician-Patient ‘Compact’ was developed in consultation with the physicians of the three Attachment prototype communities and in consultation with members of the Patient Voices Network. The compact states:
As your family doctor I, along with my practice team, agree to:
• Provide you with the best care that I can
• Coordinate any specialty care you may need
• Offer you timely access to care, to the best of my ability
• Maintain an ongoing record of your health
• Keep you updated on any changes to services offered at my clinic
• Communicate with you honestly and openly so we can best address your health care needs
As my patient I ask that you:
• Seek your health care from me and my team whenever possible and, in my absence, through my colleague(s), xxxxxx
• Name me as your family doctor if you have to visit an emergency facility or another provider
• Communicate with me honestly and openly so we can best address your health care needs
The Attachment incentives are available for BC residents only; reciprocal are excluded. Rural retention premiums do not apply.
Payable only to Family Physicians who have successfully submitted the GP Attachment Participation Code G14070 on the same or a prior date in the same calendar year.
Payable only to the Family Physician that has accepted the responsibility of being the Most Responsible Physician for that patient’s care.
iii) Details of Care Conference must be documented in the patient’s chart (in office or facility as appropriate), including particulars of participant(s) involved in conference, role(s) in care, and information on clinical discussion and decisions made.
iv) Conference to include the clinical and social circumstances relevant to the delivery of care.
v) Not payable for situations where the purpose of the conversation is to:
a. book an appointment
b. arrange for an expedited consultation or procedure
c. arrange for laboratory or diagnostic investigations
d. inform the referring physician of results of diagnostic investigations
e. arrange a hospital bed for the patient
vi) If multiple patients are discussed, the billings shall be for consecutive, non-overlapping time periods.
vii) Payable in addition to any visit fee on the same day if medically required and does not take place concurrently with the patient conference. (i.e. Visit is separate from conference time).
viii) Payable to a maximum of 18 units (270 minutes) per calendar year per patient with a maximum of 2 units (30 minutes) per patient on any single day.
ix) The claim must state start and end times of the service.x) Not payable for communications which occur as a part of the performance of routine rounds on the patient if located in a facility.
xi) Not payable for simple advice to a non-physician allied health professional about a patient in a facility.
xii) Not payable in addition to G14015 GP Facility Patient Conference Fee, G14016 Community Patient Conference Fee or G14017 Acute Care Discharge Planning Conference Fee as these fees are replaced by G14077 for those Family Physicians who have submitted the GP Attachment Participation code.
xiii) These payments are not available to physicians who are employed by or who are under contract to a facility or health authority who would otherwise have participated in the conference as a requirement of their employment.
xiv) They are also not available to physicians who are working under salary, service contract or sessional arrangements who would otherwise have participated in the conference as a requirement of their employment.