Common Billing Mistakes: MSP Fee Code 00082In this series we're covering common billing mistakes and how to avoid them. This will save you from potential headaches with rejected billings, and help you get paid for your services faster. Last time we looked at MSP fee code 00081 – today we'll continue with 00082 (Critical care monitoring)
When to bill Fee Code 00082You can bill 00082 when providing exclusive beside monitoring of an unstable patient.
Tips for billing & mistakes to avoid00082 is billable for total bedside monitoring only. It is NOT payable for:
- Managing the patient's family
- Discussion with other health care professions
- Arranging transfers.
- Call out or continuing care not payable with critical care fee codes.
- This code is billable in 30 minute blocks and you must state what critical care monitoring was done. Often physicians comment about arranging transfers, or discussion with colleagues, or ordering of tests. This is NOT billable for continuous bedside since your focus is not directly on the patient. These statements should be avoided.
- Billing more than one unit of 00082. You must indicate in the note section what was done during each 30 minute block, or it will be refused by MSP as they will ask for more details.Note/comment example: “1600-1630 – respiratory, lungs, 1630-1700 – cardiac, vitals” (so MSP pays both units)
This article offers general information only and is not intended as legal, financial or other professional advice. A professional advisor should be consulted regarding your specific situation. While information presented is believed to be factual and current, its accuracy is not guaranteed and it should not be regarded as a complete analysis of the subjects discussed. All expressions of opinion reflect the judgment of the author(s) as of the date of publication and are subject to change. No endorsement of any third parties or their advice, opinions, information, products or services is expressly given or implied by RBC Ventures Inc. or its affiliates.
Add Claims in Seconds
Our software helps you save time, collaborate with ease and get expert support.