In May’s issue of the Better Billing Newsletter we review the CMGP modifier, the after-hours fee code, an important billing reminder and more.
So, in case you missed it, here it is again:
Billing Tip: Remember to use the ‘CMGP’ Modifier
The complex modifier (CMGP) compensates you for a number of services that are not “face-to-face,” such as:
- Writing a referral letter
- Reviewing the chart.
- Reviewing (but not waiting for) lab/DI results.
- Talking with and examining the patient.
(Basically, anything you do in relation to your patient’s care).
The catch? You must complete these activities on the same date of service the patient was seen:
Reminder: If CMGP is eligible, it will show up under ‘Fee Modifier’ once you’ve entered in a fee code. You cannot use it for anything that takes less than 15 minutes.
Conferencing calls are not applicable across provinces as AHCIP currently has no reciprocal agreements when speaking to physicians who are not working in Alberta.
1. Shared Claims
If you haven’t heard already, you can now share claim details for your phone calls and patient conferences with all participating colleagues.
2. Billing 03.01AA on your iPhone
If you haven’t checked it out already, try billing the after-hours premium on your iPhone! All you have to do is enter the start and stop times and we’ll handle the rest.
- Check out the latest ‘ this week IN THE JOURNALS,’ to take a shallow dive into recently released articles that should be on your radar…
This month’s suggestions:
Sudoku seizures: A 25-year-old man is in a rehab hospital following a hypoxic brain injury he sustained in a skiing accident. Several weeks into his recovery, he begins to experience clonic seizures of his left arm from one unusual trigger: Sudoku…
Part I of III: Dangers of poor sleep, Alzheimer’s risk, mental health, memory consolidation, and more: “I think that sleep may be one of the most significant lifestyle factors that determines your risk ratio for Alzheimer’s disease.” — Matthew Walker, Ph.D.
News Around the Nation …
- Apple confirms ECG app for smartwatch coming to Canada but timing isn’t known
- Ontario premier’s unprecedented partisan attack on public health worries health experts
- British Columbia to be first province to force patients to switch from biologics to less expensive biosimilar drugs
Looking for more tutorials, tips and suggestions? Send us an email and let us know what you’d like to see in the next Better Billing Newsletter!