Effective May 1, 2020, the Business Cost Premium (BCP) will be temporarily expanded to apply to telehealth fee items, including phone and video communication with patients.
This change ensures the BCP is paid during the COVID-19 pandemic, given these services would have normally been provided in person in physician’s offices.
To receive the BCP on telehealth fees, make sure your claims include a registered facility number and a community-based office service location code.
The original message from Doctors of BC outlines that while telehealth services do not need to be provided in your office, an appropriate facility number and service location code need to be entered on the claim in order for the BCP to be paid.
The facility number and location code should be based on where the service would have been provided if it had been performed in person.
Business Cost Premium Details
The Business Cost Premium (BCP) is to provide improved compensation if you are are responsible for some or all of the rent, lease, or ownership costs (either directly or indirectly) of a community-based office. The BCP is a percentage premium paid on eligible fees for in person, face-to-face services, to compensate you for the work you do with patients in your office.
You must be entitled to receive and retain payment for the eligible fees directly from MSP (i.e., payments assigned to Health Authorities are not eligible for the premium). The current BCP eligible services are:
- Complete examinations
The BCP list of eligible fees has been temporarily amended to include telehealth fee items during the Covid-19 pandemic to ensure BCP is paid given the majority of these services would have otherwise been provided to patients face-to-face at eligible physician offices. Eligible BCP claims require a registered facility number and a community-based office service location code. While telehealth services do not need to be provided by the physician in their office, the appropriate facility number and service location code that should be entered on the claim is based on where the service would have been provided if it had been performed face -to-face.
Telehealth Fees that are Eligible for BCP
To receive the BCP:
- You are responsible for some or all of the lease, rental or ownership costs of that community-based office, and
- The community-based facility in which the eligible services are provided must be in an eligible location and have a unique Facility Number registered with MSP, and
- You must be registered with MSP as a physician practicing at that Facility, and iv) The correct Facility Number must be entered on each claim where the eligible service is rendered.
How is the BCP calculated?
The percentage values and the daily maximum amounts of the BCP are based on the location the eligible service is rendered:
- City of Vancouver: 5% of eligible fees up to a maximum BCP payment of $60 per day per physician.
- Metro Vancouver (excluding the City of Vancouver) and Greater Victoria: 4% of eligible fees up to a maximum BCP payment of $48 per day per physician.
- Other communities (outside Greater Vancouver and Greater Victoria) not eligible for the Rural Retention Premiums: 3% of eligible fees up to a maximum BCP payment of $36 per day per physician.
How will the BCP be paid?
The BCP will be applied to eligible fees submitted on your billing claims, and will be paid to your payee number. The claims system will apply the percentage for the premium and calculate the daily maximum. In order to identify the physical location in which services are provided and for the correct percentage premium to be applied, you need to register your community-based office for a Facility Number, which is a unique physician/office location-identifier.
If you are responsible for some or all of the lease, rental, or ownership costs at more than one community-based location, you need to register each location where eligible services are provided.
How to Obtain a Facility Number for the BCP
To apply for a facility number you need to submit the “Application for MSP Facility Number (New)” form below. Please ensure to check the box to request the BCP be applied to eligible fees paid to eligible physicians attached to that facility. Each location must obtain a unique Facility Number.
Application for MSP Facility Number (New): Online application.
Application for MSP Facility Number (New): Fill and print out form.